Sunday 2 July 2017

Costume Jewellery that has stood the test of time

Howdy,

I love jewellery, there is not an outfit you can put on where a piece of jewellery doesn't make it look better. My favourite colour of jewellery is white gold, or platinum if the husband wishes to buy me something in Platinum (cheesy grin). I find that the silver/white gold always suited my skin colouring better so I think 95% of everything I own is in that colour.

As with most things I tend to buy or receive as a present, I want to keep forever. I think that is why I am so picky with my purchases and I have to truly love something to buy it. I have a shirt I got from Primark, it is absolutely amazing and is one of my favourite pieces I own. (I even queued up in the Primark on Oxford Street to try on a few sizes to find the fit I liked most, anyone who has seen that queue knows you can loose at least 20-30 minutes in it). If you buy cheap, treat it like it's luxury, it's the best way to prolong the life of a cheap item, and always wash the items in a mesh bag.

Oooo I may have a moved away from the main topic of this post, I think that's my arse-about-face way of saying when I buy something I want it to remain in as best possible state for as long as possible. You don't always have to spend a lot to have nice looking pieces.

Here are 4 costume jewellery pieces that I have had for many many years and I believe still look in pretty good condition. Please note I have had these pieces for years and some I am not sure on the design name or price, I will leave links to the websites of each company for you. You may find something you like for yourself. 

Fossil

 


This is a silver and pink enamel bangle and of all of my costume jewellery pieces I own this one has worn the best of them all. I got this on sale and paid around $30 for it which I know isn't cheap but my husband said that looks good on you, so I got it (did you see the lack of will power I had?). I think originally it was around $70 which really is a lot of money for a piece of "steel" jewellery. It does not show a single sign of tarnishing in anyway. It still looks great, no stones have fallen out and the pink enamel is perfect. What ever the coating used to protect the bracelet has done its job perfectly.
Although I purchased this in the US, we do have many Fossil shops here in England and they are also found at outlet villages too. I don't know if I would want to go spending the likes of £50 on a piece as again it isn't a precious metal but it really has lasted well. So let's just say if the price was right and I wouldn't think twice about buying from Fossil again.

BCBG

 

I purchased this bracelet just because I liked what it said and it was about $8 in Macy's. You can't beat a good bangle, they are so comfortable to wear. Right now this bracelet show signs of wear in every corner, it isn't too much, though, that I would stop wearing it. It will only get worse and I guess one day will end up in the bin. For the 8 bucks I paid I don't feel ripped off and will carry on wearing it for a bit longer. I would not go back and buy more as their items full price are a little pricey. We also only have four shops in the UK which makes seeing the items in person pretty hard if you don't live in or near a major city. But you can purchase things online and have them delivered to you, least you know there will be no horrible customs charges etc. I avoid that like the plague!

HRH Collection

 

This was my first ever piece of HRH Collection jewellery and I still love it now so much, it is a piece that will get you compliments just because in person this pieces sparkle and shine like no other and you can't help but notice it. I find that they dress up any outfit, pop this on with jeans and a basic t and you are good to go. These pieces are not the cheapest around but that is because you are getting Swarovski crystals that are quite often rare and vintage. Alex (owner of HRH Collection) has never had this stone back in stock in all the years I have had it, so I am very pleased I picked it up when I did. I also have other that comes from the 40's. It is stunning. The only signs of wear I have are on the lobster clasp itself, this is pretty much hidden as it sits under my wrist and isn't on show. I would say these pieces are good if you want to have something a little different, I always like to be different and love things that are not found everywhere or are the height of fashion.

Dorothy Perkins 

 

This necklace I think I paid about £4 in the sale, it is the only long necklace I own and I love it. It is one of those necklaces where you find yourself playing with it. It works perfectly to jazz up any basic t a treat, I've even worn it on nights out to give a bit of sparkle to an outfit. Although this is being featured as standing the test of time, I would not personally go buying the ring or earrings from this shop as I really don't think they will last, actually I know they wont last. In my younger days where I liked quick fashion I have bought pieces and they have all ended up in the bin. Not sure why this has lasted so well, maybe because its not worn daily or because I have stored it well in a jewellery box. It shows barely any tarnish marks which are only visible if you hold it under your nose, I will continue to wear this and see if I can get another 5 years out of it.  £4 well spent I'd say.

A few tips to help prolong the life of your pieces:
  1. Do not shower in them or get them wet.
  2. Do not spray perfume over them, or place on a neck or wrist that has had perfume on sprayed on.
  3. Store in a closed jewellery box out of sunlight.
  4. I avoid layering the jewellery, if the item is a poor quality metal, rubbing together will just make then tarnish and look older much quicker. 
  5. Do not sleep in them.
Hope this was helpful in someway if you are thinking of buying any costume jewellery or if you just want to make your jewellery last as long as possible.

Thanks for reading
Kara xx



















No comments:

Post a Comment