Sunday 12 March 2017

How to Extend Candle Life

Howdy,

If you are a bit of a candle freak like me then you may already do a few of these tricks to help make your candles last as long as possible and to try use up as much of the wax.

As I am sure everyone is aware, candles can range from being pence in price up to hundreds of pounds, as I know it will eventually burn out and the glass is recycled I can't bring myself to spend a lot on a candle.

If money was no issue I would LOVE to have the diptyque candle in the scent Rosa Mundi, I smelt it in Liberty's and it is amazing. But at £48 for a 190g candle, I feel my husband may have a few choice words to say about that, along the lines of "You are wasting your money!" :-/

Anyway, frequent trips to TK Maxx and my husband travelling to the States have resulted in me trying lots of candles of all shapes and sizes and different types of wicks.

My favourite brands that I have used and recommend are:
Woodwick
Bath and Body Works
DwHome
Glade

I have included links for all these candle brands so you can check out the range. I buy all my Glade candles from Wilkos as they can go down in price to as little as £1.68, Bath and body works are strictly US only but candles made from anywhere round the world can be found in TK Maxx.

Here are 3 tips to help prolong the life of each candle:

  1. Trim the wick. I have always done this but only since Christmas have I had a really nice wick trimmer (Thanks Lorna xxx). This should help to eliminate the chances of black soot marks on the glass of the candle and the black smoke it gives off when first lit.
  2. The first burn is the most important. Don't light a candle for the first time if you know you are going to have to blow it out in half an hour. You want to let it have a really good first burn. By doing this the whole of the top of the candle should have melted. If you do not melt it right across you run the risk of never getting an even burn which will leave you with a lot of wax being left up the sides and quite often wasted.
  3. If you find a candle you love and you have the choice to have it in a single or a triple wick, then I would always pick a triple wick . This is also another way you are likely to achieve a more even burn. 

Three very simple things to do, but I have found make all the difference and can get you an extra day or two from each candle you burn. He is a picture of a candle a few days in and the burn is very even.

Thanks for reading
Kara xx







No comments:

Post a Comment